Outside Plant Technician
- NineStar - Operations & Engineering
- GREENFIELD, IN, USA
- Full Time
- Excellent benefits available
NineStar Connect is seeking an Outside Plant (OSP) Technician.
This position is within the Telecom Operations Department. This is a bargaining unit position that requires some evening and weekend work. Outside Plant Technicians perform various functions in the transport and delivery of NineStar Connect services from the head-end to customer premise locations, as well as, between core network sites, over a principally fiber-optic network. This position includes installing, splicing, terminating, testing, maintaining, and troubleshooting all types of OSP/ISP cables in varying climates and conditions.
Essential Job Functions
- Install, splice, terminate, and test both OSP/ISP multi-strand/pair fiber-optic and shielded-twisted-pair (STP) cables.
- Troubleshoot and repair damaged, or non-compliant, fiber-optic strands and pairs as necessary to ensure network performance and reliability.
- Repair and maintain aerial and underground fiber-optic and STP cables. This includes installing and removing aerial cable and strands, attaching hardware, inspecting and repairing lines as needed.
- Installing equipment and devices at customer termination/demarcation locations, as well as, preparing and installing network cabinet sites in accordance with company and industry standards.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of fiber-optic and STP cable structure, uses, and network components, as well as, "best-practices"
- Knowledge of various OSP/ISP network architecture and topology
- Skill in operating various types of vehicles and construction equipment along with possessing or the ability to obtain a Class A CDL, along with a clean driving record.
- Skill in utilizing fusion splicers, optical-time-domain reflectometers (OTDR), power meters, and power/hand tools in the performance of duties as assigned
- Ability to read, comprehend, and follow engineering specification, schematic, and staking sheets/diagrams, as well as, oral or written instructions
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner including working independently and making technical decisions.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 60 lbs.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent. Entry level position requiring a minimum of 1-3 years' experience in network construction, operations/maintenance, or installation used for the delivery of data, video, and voice over various media. Other relevant or post-secondary education a plus. Possession of BICSI Installer 2 Optical Fiber or Copper (INSTC or INSTF) OR Technician (TECH) certifications are preferred.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts